Open House Game Plan
Each week there are tons of homes that are on the market that open their doors to potential buyers. Whether you are far in your home search, or just starting out, an open house is a fun way to figure out what you are looking for. It can also be a great way to check out neighborhoods and their amenities.
So how do you figure out what listings are open? Do you drive around hoping to see some signs? And while we’re at it, what should you be looking for at an open house?
Here are some tips for finding, planning, and executing a successful open house weekend!
Find an Open House:
- Ask Your Realtor: If you have an agent, they are the best place to start. Ask them to send you an email with open houses for the weekend. They have access to the Multiple Listing Service, and many times agents in the same office will advertise open houses in the office too.
- Use An App: There are so many apps out there that can help you plan your open house route. Many Real Estate companies have their own apps and many real estate related apps exist as well. You can save the open houses, listings, and even map your route.
- Search Online: You can find info on upcoming open houses online too. Any real estate website or agent website will allow you to search listings for open houses. Under filters just narrow your search for open houses. You can also adjust your home search parameters to ensure you are looking at homes that fit your needs.
- Social Media: Check out local real estate pages. Many agents and teams have social media accounts and will post their upcoming open houses on there. Just do a quick search and you will find that many agents utilize various forms of social media to advertise their listings.
- Look for Signs: Take a drive to neighborhoods you are interested in. Look for open house signs and banners and just stop by. Sometimes you may even see signs out in advance advertising dates and times.
- Mail: Whether it’s postcards, flyers, or email. Keep an eye open because many agents use these routes to advertise their open houses as well.
You Found Open Houses, Now What?
- It’s More Than Just The House: Take this opportunity to drive around the community. Check out the community amenities. Talk to the agent about the area. Sometimes neighbors stop by open houses, if you meet any; take a few minutes to chat with them.
- Document The Homes: It is easy for all the different houses you see to blend together. Which had the fabulous kitchen? Which one had the amazing backyard? Make sure to snag a flyer and the agent’s info. You can make notes on what you liked and disliked so you can review them later. If there’s anything you really liked about the house, snap a picture!
- Plan Your Route: Open houses are usually held on the weekends. There are great apps or websites (ahem, Google Maps) that allow you to add different stops and plot the best route. You can even use these tools if you’re going to walk. Make sure to pay attention to the times each listing is open to make sure your route allows for you to hit them all!
Questions? Need Help? And remember, with us, advice is always free. Reach us at [email protected]